Assisting spouse

If you are married or have a cohabitation contract with a self-employed person you are considered an assisting spouse:Your Europe logo

  • when you effectively co-operate in the business of your self-employed spouse or partner (regularly or at least 90 days a year)
  • if your personal income from a self-employed professional activity is not higher than EUR 3,000 a year (gross income minus professional costs)
  • if you do not have a personal income from any activity as an employee or civil servant or no replacement income that entitles you to social security benefits

The assisting spouses must:

  • be subjected to the social security scheme of self-employed persons
  • join the same social insurance fund as their self-employed person spouse/partner
  • pay social contributions

More information about assisting spouses (FR) is available on the website of the National Institute for the Social Security of the Self-employed (NISSE).

Support service
SPF Economie – Direction Communication
50 rue du Progrès
1210 Brussels
+32 800 120 33

Responsible authority
SPF Economy

Updated on 30 November 2020

Help us improve


Subscribe to Related Section NewsAll the news