Do you want to become self-employed or start your own company?
Before you do this and take the necessary steps, you first need to ask yourself some questions (fr) to clearly describe your project, analyse the environment, commercialise your idea, organise your company or finance your project.
You must then take a number of steps, or fulfil a number of formalities, conditions and administrative obligations (fr) which differ according to the type of activity and the company’s legal format.
These are the most important steps when establishing a company:
- choosing a legal status (fr): a one-man business (natural person) or a company (legal entity)
- establishing a company (fr) by depositing and registering a memorandum of association
- registering the company (fr) with a certified Business One-Stop-Shop
- opening a current account (fr)
- requesting a VAT identification (fr) and respecting a number of obligations in this respect
- requesting a customs identification and an EORI-number (fr)
- joining a social insurance fund (fr) for self-employed persons and paying social contributions
- joining a health insurance (fr) of your choice to come into consideration for health and disablement insurance payments
- taking out certain insurance policies (fr), obligatory or not
- when hiring people: joining a payroll processing company and taking certain steps with the Social Security Office (fr)
Depending on the region you will also need to prove you understand the basics of business management. More information - specific to the regions - is available on the different portal sites of the regional institutions: