2017 is the year of sustainable tourism
The aim of this international year is to make policy-makers and the general public aware of the contribution of sustainable tourism to development and to call upon all stakeholders to make tourism a catalyst for positive change.
The international year encourages moves in policies, business practices and consumer behaviour towards more sustainable tourism. The aim is to explain the role of tourism in the following five areas:
- inclusive and sustainable economic growth
- social integration, employment and poverty reduction
- rational use of natural resources, environmental protection and climate change
- cultural values, diversity and heritage
- mutual understanding, peace and security
You can find more information on the website of the Federal Institute for Sustainable Development (fr).