- automatically on the marriage or death of one of the cohabitants
- voluntarily by a joint declaration or a unilateral written declaration that is submitted and formally acknowledged by the Civil Registrar in the municipality of residence
The declaration must contain the following information:
- the date of the declaration
- the full name, date and place of birth of the cohabitants
- the signature of both persons or of the person making a unilateral declaration
- the home address of both persons
- a clear reference to the wish to end legal cohabitation.
Most municipalities have a standard declaration form for ending legal cohabitation.
For information on the administrative procedure for ending legal cohabitation, contact the Civil Registry in your municipality.