- automatically on the marriage or death of one of the cohabitants
- voluntarily by a joint declaration or a unilateral written declaration that is submitted and formally acknowledged by the Civil Registrar in the municipality of residence
The declaration must contain the following information:
- the date of the declaration
- the full name, date and place of birth of the cohabitants
- the signature of both persons or of the person making a unilateral declaration
- the home address of both persons
- a clear reference to the wish to end legal cohabitation.
Most municipalities have a standard declaration form for ending legal cohabitation.
For information on the administrative procedure for ending legal cohabitation, contact the Civil Registry in your municipality.
If you have any question, please contact the civil registrar in your municipality.
Contact for municipalities of the Brussels-Capital Region (FR).
Contact for municipalities of the Flemish Region (NL).
Contact for municipalities in Wallonia (FR).
Legal requirements provided by the authority responsible : FPS Justice.
Updated on 23 october 2023