Necessary formalities

Before leaving

Before leaving for Belgium, you should go through certain formalities. Depending on your country of origin, some may not be necessary.

  1. You must have a valid passport issued by your country of origin (for citizens of some countries, an identity card will suffice).
  2. You must have a visa if you need one to enter Belgium. You can get one from the Belgian embassy or consulate responsible for your place of residence. 
  3. In some cases, you must also have the permits required for working in Belgium. You will need different permits (info depending on whether you wish to acquire self-employed status or employee status.

These formalities are not always mandatory. It depends on where you come from. 

For more information on visas, please consult the website of the Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation FPS.

For more information on work permits, please consult the website of the Employment, Labour and Social Dialogue FPS (in French or Dutch).

Formalities for residence in Belgium

You will find all the necessary information about residence formalities in Belgium (French or Dutch) on the Immigration Office’s website.

If you plan to stay in Belgium  you must go to the municipal authorities responsible for your place of residence.
Click here to see the list of Belgian municipalities (in French or Dutch).