Goods and services that are provided by an enterprise are subject to VAT, in principle.
VAT is a tax on consumption borne by the final consumer. VAT is collected in successive steps, i.e. every transaction of a production and distribution process. The normal rate is 21%. However, the lower rates of 0%, 6% and 12% are applied to certain categories of goods and services. More information on rates (fr).
Parties who are subject to VAT need to meet a certain number of obligations:
- filing a declaration about the start-up, modification or cessation of an activity
- keeping accounts of invoices and revenue (the obligations vary according to the VAT regimes)
- a periodic VAT statement (quarterly or monthly, depending on the case)
- a special VAT statement for taxable persons subject to certain special regimes that do not conform to the "classic" periodic declaration
- an annual listing of clients who are taxable persons
- a list of intra-community operations (with other EU countries)
You can also find more information in the VAT section of the FPS Finances website (fr).